Crescent Rolls


This is one of my all-time favorite roll recipes! The recipe comes from the Lion House, an historic restaurant in Salt Lake City, Utah.
 
2 tablespoons yeast
2 cups warm water
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter
2 teaspoons salt
2/3 cup nonfat dry milk (use powdered, not flaked)
1 egg
6 cups all-purpose flour
butter, melted
 
In the large bowl of a stand mixer, mix yeast and water and let stand 5 minutes. Add sugar, butter, salt, dry milk, egg, and 2 cups of the flour. Beat together until smooth. Gradually add remaining flour until soft dough is formed. (I start mixing with a paddle attachment and then switch to the dough hook for the last couple of cups of flour. I run the mixer on medium-high for 2 or 3 minutes at the very end until the flour is completely incorporated, the dough is super-smooth, and the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl.)
 
Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic. Place in a greased bowl; cover and let rise until dough doubles in bulk (usually about an hour). Punch down; divide dough into thirds.
 
Prep 3 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside. Roll out one third of dough into a circle; cut into 12 pie-shaped pieces. Starting at the wide end, roll up each piece into a crescent. Place on baking sheets with the point on the bottom. Repeat with remainder of dough.
 
Brush tops with melted butter. Let rise an additional hour, or until doubled in size. Bake at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until light golden brown.

For a printable version of the above recipe, click here.

When I make a double batch, I end up with 7 pounds of dough. I generally split the double-batch into 3 rounds of 2.33 pounds each and get 16 crescents per round for a total of 48 rolls.