Courtesy of Heather Palmer.
I love this chili. I make it frequently, serving it with Frito's corn chips, chopped scallions, sour cream, and shredded cheddar cheese. I always make fresh cornbread to go with it, too. You can find the cornbread recipe here.
1 large onion, chopped fine
1 green pepper, chopped fine
1 pound ground beef
2 (15-oz) cans diced tomatoes
2 (15-oz) cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 (15-oz.) cans tomato sauce
dash cinnamon (just the teensiest, tiniest little pinch; if you add too much, that's all you'll be able to taste)
1 teaspoon cumin
1 to 2 tablespoons brown sugar (depending on how sweet you like it; the vinegar balances the sweetness)
1 to 1½ tablespoons chili powder
1 ½ teaspoons salt
1 bay leaf
paprika
cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons vinegar
Optional, for garnish:
scallions, chopped
Frito's corn chips (or tortilla chips)
sour cream
shredded cheddar cheese
Brown ground beef along with onions and green peppers in large skillet. Once meat is cooked through and onions and green peppers are softened, add remaining ingredients and simmer for a half-hour to a couple of hours (the time is variable – I’ve eaten it immediately, but it tastes best when simmered longer). The spices are also variable, depending on personal preference.