I got lucky and found pizza pans for the grill on clearance. I have loved using them and now wish that I had bought more! Grilled pizza has a crisp crust and wonderful flavor! If you don't have pizza pans specially designed for the grill, you can do what my friend Kim does (disclaimer: I have not tried doing it this way, but she swears by it) . . . Turn grill to a low-medium heat. Place dough directly on the grill for 45-60 seconds on each side (until dough is stiff enough to place back on grill with toppings). Take dough off grill. Use spoon to depress middle of dough to create recessed area for sauce and toppings. Add sauce, cheese, and toppings. Place pizza on grill's warming rack to cook for an additional 7-10 minutes, until cheese is melted.
GRILLED PIZZA (using pizza grill pans)
Ingredients
- 1 batch of pizza dough. (Recipe here. You can get four thin 12-inch pizza crusts from this recipe) Note: You can buy fresh, ready-made pizza dough at Trader Joe's, too, if you don't want to make your own.
- Pizza sauce (Recipe here.)
- Cheese (our family likes a mix of mozzarella and Parmesan cheese)
- Pizza toppings (mushrooms, onions, peppers, ham, bacon, artichokes, pepperoni, sausage, etc.)
Directions
Preheat a grill, keeping the center burner on medium-low to low heat (for our gas grill, I find that the very lowest heat setting works best for the center burner; I keep the two side burners at medium to medium-high heat). I put my pizzas in to cook when the temp is 500-degrees (with the lid down). I keep the lid on the grill down while it preheats and also while the pizzas cook.
Lightly brush a steel grill pizza pan with olive oil.
On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pizza dough into a 12-inch round and transfer to the prepared pizza pan. Spread the sauce evenly on the dough, leaving a 1/2-inch border uncovered. Sprinkle with cheese and top with desired toppings.
Place the pizza pan in the center of the grill and cover the grill with the grill lid. Bake until the crust is crisp and well browned and the cheese is melted, 5 to 6 minutes (I have found that it takes less than a minute to go from perfectly crisp to burnt, so monitor it to avoid a charred mess). I cook the pizza (with the grill lid down) for 4 minutes and then rotate the pan 180-degrees and cook for 3 more minutes. At that point, it's usually ready, but sometimes it takes another minute. Transfer the pizza to a cutting board and cut into slices. Serve immediately.