1 ¼ cups (6¾ ounces) bread flour
¾ teaspoon table salt
1 ½ cups milk, heated to 110 to 120 degrees
3 large eggs
Salted butter
Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly spray cups of popover pan with vegetable oil spray. Using paper towel, wipe out cups, leaving thin film of oil on bottom and sides. (I've also made them by brushing a thin layer of Crisco on the insides of the cups with a pastry brush and then dusting with flour).
Whisk together flour and salt in 8-cup liquid measuring cup or medium bowl. Add milk and eggs and whisk until mostly smooth (some small lumps are OK). Distribute batter evenly among prepared cups in popover pan. Bake until popovers are lofty and deep golden brown all over, 40 to 45 minutes. Serve hot, passing butter separately. (Leftover popovers can be stored in zipper-lock bag at room temperature for up to 2 days; reheat directly on middle rack of 300-degree oven for 5 minutes.)
Note:
- I have two 6-well popover pans and always make a double recipe for my family. (See stock photo of the pan I use below.) Available HERE.
- I use a size #12 (2.8-ounce) scoop for filling the wells of my popover pans. Available HERE.
- To get the milk the perfect temperature, I microwave a double recipe (so, 3 cups of milk) in a microwave-safe, silicone, cylinder measuring cup for 2 minutes and 30 seconds.