Chicken Shawarma with Creamy Garlic Sauce

This is a new favorite at our house. I serve it with the naan sold at Costco (which my kids love, love, love!), rice, diced cucumbers, and feta cheese. We pile our chicken and toppings on top of naan, but you could also fill pita bread to eat it sandwich-style, or, grill flatbread with a little butter/oil and seasoning and then top with the chicken and toppings.

**Pairs well with Butter Rice.

Chicken:
2 lbs (900g) chicken thighs or breasts, boneless & skinless (I use breasts and cut them in half horizontally so they're of even thickness)
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp ground paprika
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil
1/4 cup (60ml) plain yogurt (I use plain Greek yogurt) -OR- mayonnaise

Sauce* (I double the amounts called for below as our family really likes the sauce):
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup (60ml) mayonnaise (you can substitute Greek yogurt for a healthier option)
1 tbsp lemon juice

**you can experiment with adding a little dill, salt, and even a bit of mint for variety

Pita bread, flatbreads, or naan, for serving

Optional (toppings, garnishes, etc):
Tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, parsley, lettuce
Rice
Feta cheese
Hummus
Tzatziki sauce
Pita chips



1. In a bowl, mix cumin, paprika, turmeric, coriander, cinnamon, black pepper, and salt.

2. Add olive oil and yogurt to the spice mix, blend well.

3. Coat the chicken thighs in the marinade, cover, and let rest in the fridge for at least 1 hour.

4. Grill or pan-cook the chicken over medium-high heat for about 6-7 minutes on each side until fully cooked. (I grill the chicken on a Breville Panini Press Grill).

5. While chicken cooks, combine garlic, mayonnaise, and lemon juice to make the creamy sauce.

6. Slice the cooked chicken and serve in pita with fresh vegetables and creamy garlic sauce.