Lemon Yogurt with Berries & Granola


This is a favorite breakfast treat of mine. I often serve it in individual bowls when I have company coming. I can make all of the components the night before and have them ready to go in the fridge the next morning to layer as desired (don't store granola in the fridge and don't try to combine until right before serving or the components run together and the granola goes soft).

Granola
(purchase a commercial blend or make your own; I like Ina Garten's recipe, available here)

Berry Swirl:
3 cups frozen mixed berries (any combination, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries; I use the frozen berry mix from Costco)
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1 lemon, juiced

Lemon Yogurt:
1-1/2 cups low-fat vanilla yogurt
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Add berries, lemon juice, and confectioners' sugar in a pan over medium heat. Cook until the berries break down and mixture becomes syrupy, 10 to 12 minutes. Set aside to cool completely before using (can put in the fridge to speed up process).

Combine the yogurt, zest, and juice in a mixing bowl and stir.

To serve, set up glasses and layer with granola, yogurt, and berries.

For a printable version of this recipe, go here.