Buttermilk Waffles

This is my favorite buttermilk waffle recipe. Super light and fluffy waffles. Comes together quickly and easily. You can halve the recipe to make fewer. If you don't have buttermilk, you can always make your own with milk and vinegar, but I continue to maintain that real buttermilk is always best.

Also, these freeze beautifully! Re-heat in your toaster for a perfectly crisp and warm waffle anytime! (If I'm freezing them, I set each waffle out individually on a cooling rack as soon as it comes out of the waffle maker until it's completely cool before wrapping it and putting it in the freezer).

Makes about 24 (4x4-inch) waffles.

4 cups (480 g) all-purpose flour
4 tablespoons (60 g) sugar
4 teaspoons (20 g) baking powder
2 teaspoon (14 g) baking soda
1 teaspoon (8 g) salt
4 cups buttermilk***
2/3 cup (11 TB) butter, melted
4 eggs
2 teaspoon vanilla extract


***I add 1/2 cup additional buttermilk (on top of the 4 cups the recipe calls for) because I prefer a lighter/softer/more-like-a-pancake/less-dense waffle than what is customary for waffles [and what this recipe produces].


In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
 
In another medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk and butter. Add eggs and stir until combined.

Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and whisk until just combined (there will still be lumps and lumps are what you want for high-rising, fluffy waffles). Fold in vanilla. Let batter rest for 10 minutes and do not re-stir or you'll deflate the batter.

Preheat waffle iron and grease. Pour about ⅓ - ½ cup of batter into the waffle iron (or until batter reached about ½ inch to the edge of the iron). Cook until ready (I cook about 3 to 3-1/2 minutes). Top with syrup and berries.